March 15, 2018

Tweeds, Tattersalls, Feathers & Furs

Yes, I know… there are a lot of people out there who disagree with using fur in fashion, so if you’re one of them, just click away now.

I love this time of year because it’s the start of the racing season, beginning with the big one in England – the Cheltenham Racing Festival, culminating with the Gold Cup and the English Grand National. Then, here in Maryland, we swing into the steeplechase racing season with the Maryland Hunt Cup, and then towards the Triple Crown, and it ends back in England with Ascot in early summer. image

The Wednesday of the Festival is Ladies Day, and I love to scour the English newspapers to see what people are wearing to the races. Although the spectrum is broad, I tend to skew towards tweeds, tattersalls, feathers and furs. I’ve written about these styles before, here and here, so you can get a good idea of what I like.

Here are some of the top picks from this year’s Cheltenham Racing Festival.

This gal got a LOT of press! The hat was pretty amazing, and I love the obviously bespoke outfit.image

Orange was a big colour this year.image

More orangeimage

Feathers and fursimage

I love this tartan tweed cape lined with a silk scarf. I have a lot of tweed I could make into this!image

Very simple. Very elegantimage

Princess Anne in a 40-year old coat!image

It was very chilly and quite windy, but they’re dressed for it. image

The Duchess of Cornwall, aka Camillaimage

Completely classicimage

All vintage, but as elegant as ever.image

I have a hat like this that I wore to the Hunt Cup a few years ago. image

This might be a bit much for me.image

I might need to work a little harder on my hat this year!hunt cup 2016 (42)

To see more, check out my Pinterest page, What to Wear to the Races… Or Not and let us know which was your favourite outfit.

6 comments:

  1. Oh yes, the scarf lined tweed! I may have to do that myself, got the tweed, just need to find the money for a Hermes scarf. The first lady in orange looks like a run-away traffic cone at the big cat house at a zoo. Ugh. Seems to me that the older royals are just as fashionable as the younger. And your hat looks swell!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be honest, I wouldn't use a good scarf for the lining. I'd use a decent silk scarf, but not an Hermes one!

      Delete
  2. Re: The first photo of the lady in the feather hat... just praying there's not a strong breeze - she'd take off South!

    My favorite outfit is the lady in the third outfit photo... long tweed coat, touches of orange, excellent fedora. Just my style! Rather "Withnailesque".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was super windy. The course is in a Cotswolds valley and the winds can really blow through there. So many pix of gals holding onto their hats!

      Delete
  3. Great post! Love the tweeds with color pops!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love seeing the tweeds and tartan and the feathers. Very sophisticated.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.