February 15, 2016

The Little Greenhouse

What better place to spend a bitter cold afternoon than a nice warm greenhouse? On Saturday afternoon, I joined two friends on a visit to a local greenhouse that specializes in orchids. IMG_8539Orchids are such amazing flowers, so prehistoric and unearthly in their appearance. The Little Greenhouse (no website) is located just north of Baltimore and was a quick drive. When we entered from the 19* F air outside into the warm, damp greenhouse, my specs completely fogged over. But as soon as they cleared, I knew I had to take some pictures. All were taken with my iPhone, and I used the macro feature on Camera+.

Unfortunately, I didn’t take pictures of the names of the orchids, bromeliads and begonias, so just enjoy them, regardless!

This flower was about an inch long. I love the way the bottom petal curls under.IMG_8524IMG_8525

Who “nose” what this one is!IMG_8526

Yellow-centered bromeliadIMG_8533IMG_8535IMG_8534

Such a gorgeous orange.IMG_8530

LadyslippersIMG_8552IMG_8553

No filterIMG_8555

Although it looks like I blurred the leaves on this, I actually didn’t!IMG_8560

Such a gorgeous pink. At Halcyon House Antiques.IMG_8570

My Valentine’s Day presentIMG_8571IMG_8578

Thanks to Stiles & Jonathan for including me on your field trip to the Little Greenhouse!

3 comments:

  1. Wonderful photos of this most beautiful plant. Nothing more delicious than orchids as Nero Wolfe can attest (oh that we all had rooftop greenhouses on our Chelsea townhouses).

    ReplyDelete
  2. A familiar scene for me here in Bangkok; could do with a touch of your 19*F here, as we "heat on up" to summer. 36*C here yesterday, although cool and breezy and a pleasant 24*C in the evening, perfect for supping cocktails on the balcony...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.