July 12, 2013

The Auction Rooms

As I mentioned the other day, I am heading to the auction on Saturday at Alex Cooper in Baltimore. You’re welcome to join me, as long as you don’t bid on anything that I want (HA).

Cooper’s has a gallery auction that is much more fast-paced and free-wheeling than the auctions in their main rooms. They sell about 100 lots per hour, and it’s the less expensive goods that are on the block.

But you can still get some great bargains on fantastic items regardless! Might I remind you of my sweet little blue settee with the down/feather cushion, picked up for a mere $20 (+18% commission + 6% tax). Still…

I had downloaded and printed the North Gallery pages, which listed about 300 items. I read through the items, and highlighted the ones that looked promising. I then went to the auction house and wandered through the gallery, checking out each lot that was there. I paid particular attention to those I’d highlighted, but also made notes on other lots that looked good.

After that, I went to the main rooms to see what was there and found some great pieces, although most of it is out of my range. As my friend David says, we like bid that are “insultingly low” and we often get the pieces we want.Do let me know if you’re planning on coming Saturday!

9 comments:

  1. Ohh, I do love a good auction! I miss auctions as there aren't many in my bit of France. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always wanted to try bidding at an auction, but the process seems so intimidating, especially since my budget would allow only "insultingly low" bids. It would be great to go with you to learn the ropes. I live in the area, but alas, have an appointment with the eye doctor on Saturday morning. Maybe next time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not intimidating once you get used to it. However, it's easy to get caught in the excitement of the bidding process. I usually set a top number of what I am willing to pay for a lot, and then stick with it. A few times, I've gone over, but not generally. Or else I set a budget of what I have to spend, and divide that among lots. Some go low and other's higher. So as long as I am within my number, I am ok.

      Delete
  3. I am a huge auction fan- even if I am not bidding- I just love watching the action!! Good Luck!
    Best,
    Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE AUCTIONS! They are the best way to learn about antiques, values and current design. I would give my cats (please do not tell them) for the turquoise shell......I wonder what it is going to go for? Meg, your instructions are spot on!
    Good luck.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seeing Conner made me think of Pompey. Have you been in touch with RD? I hope all is well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG -that last piece is AMAZING!!!! I'm sure it'll go for a fortune. You didn't miss much at the estate sale (just went to it) but it was a really fascinating house and a fascinating person. I'll probably go back on Sunday and see what I can get for a deal.
    So nice to see Conner liking his new perch; it's Conner sized!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.