June 27, 2013

Refresh Magazine

When I was in High Point in April, Katie Denham from the Katie Did blog, and I were wandering around the CR Laine Showroom, when we ran into Holly Blalock, their design director, taking some other people on a tour of the showroom. Holly kindly included us in the tour, and we shortly found out that one of the other people was Lacey Howard, the editor of the new BHG special interest publication “Refresh”.

Lacey told us that the magazine would be coming out in late May, so when I saw it at the store, I grabbed it! The basic premise of the magazine is that to refresh your house you don’t have to start from scratch, you can use what you have, maybe in a different way, you can find inspiration from many sources, and budget items can have a huge impact.

As we were wandering around the showroom, we ran into Jason and John, the brilliant minds behind Madcap Cottage. It turns out that they’d contributed a make-over article to Refresh magazine (and that Jason’s sister lives in my neighbourhood in Baltimore).

There’s lots of good information in Refresh, as well as lots of tips and trends, including this amazing bathroom where the homeowner painted her bathroom walls with Sharpie markers. You can read her story here.

There are lots of clever ideas, including this one of painting your firescreen in a bright colour. You can get an autobody shop to do this for you, or you can do it with spraypaint, if you’re good!I think that this is a great idea for summer, when you’re not using your fireplace.

The magazine will be on the shelves until the end of August, so be sure and look for it...

And don’t google Refresh magazine unless you’d like an eyeful of beefy British men. Apparently, there’s another magazine called reFresh.

13 comments:

  1. Hahaha! I found that website for reFresh too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meg a fun time with Katie, I see. I'm really excited about Refresh, especially since many of us cannot start all over!

    xoxo
    Karena
    Art by Karena

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katie's terrific! I was so pleased to finally meet her in person.

      Delete
  3. This is a very useful article and pic for the readers, especially for me thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. can't wait to get my paws on Refresh + must trot over to Katie's blog. xxpeggybraswelldesign.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a nice little magazine... and do check out Katie, she's terrific.

      Delete
  5. This is a terrific idea for a magazine! We don't like to start over, but rather layer with what we have. Thanks for sharing this. Will look forward to a copy in August. I'm putting it on my calendar so I don't miss it. Too funny about the British mag. '-) ~ Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The summer one is on the stands now, and the fall one comes out in august.

      Delete
  6. Hey Meg,

    Any ideas on auto body places in Baltimore that would do that kind of paint work on home objects?

    Jill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jill... there's a place on York Road between Belvedere and Woodbourne that does auto paint work. That's the only one I know.

      Delete
  7. enjoy your posts it is very interesting to read thank you I really liked your article

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, I could write the article titled "How To Buy a Sofa". First, sign in to ebay. Buy a sofa. The end. I had my heart set on an enormous antique sofa upholstered in red velvet. Some dude on ebay inherited one from his grandmother... a 1940's Duncan Phyfe sofa! Seat cushion over 6 feet long... in scrumptious RED velvet! $350 for the sofa, $350 for delivery (and free setup). For $700, I got the sofa of my dreams, delivered from Virginia to New York, and the delivery guys brought it into my house and set it where I wanted it. DUDES. You just can't get better than that!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.