February 13, 2013

Happy Valentine’s Day

I am not one to celebrate Valentine’s Day with any fanfare, so I am just having some friends to dinner. image

In the March issue of House Beautiful, I came across a recipe that used to be my go-to recipe for dinners. imageIt’s called Country Captain, and it’s basically a chicken curry dish. The link to the HB version of it is here.

Country Captain, and don’t you just love what that name evokes, is one of those dishes where it’s impossible to go wrong. I imagine you could substitute shrimp for chicken, or even add the shrimp at the end of the cooking. I always added diced apples, as it gave the dish a bit of sharpness.

I remember having “six boy” curries, where the boys were small dishes of shredded coconut, currants, raisins, chopped peanuts, bacon, chutney and other condiments.indian boys You could really have any number of boys, but six is plenty. The boys that are referred to were originally the small Indian boys who took the little bowls of condiments around the table. We won’t be having any of that nonsense at my house though, I will be using small ramekins on the table.

The Country Captain is served over rice, and I think I might add a small side salad, just to provide some balance to the curry. I am not sure what the dessert is going to be, as someone’s bringing it. I will probably have some beer on hand to go with the curry, as wines are generally too acidic for a dish like this one. imageI might see if I can find some Kingfisher beer, as it’s Indian-made. It’s also “the king of good times”, or at least that’s what the bottle says!

Happy Valentine’s Day!

5 comments:

  1. Happy Valentines' Day Meg!

    I dog eared that recipe, can't wait to hear if it's as yummy as it looks!

    I had that same swan image saved and used it for my "heart" themed post- it's so peaceful and calming.
    xp,
    ~R

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds yummy! I will have to give it a try!
    I can't eat curry without Kingfisher...yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Coincidentally, I planned for dinner tonight, too. My mother always served hard-boiled eggs with her lamb curry, just like in your picture. (Except we always used Pyrex dishes for the condiments.) I'll have to boil one while the curry is simmering. My mouth is going to be watering all day. Happy Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will try this receipe, it looks yummy! Happy Valentine's Day to you and your guests. xxpeggybraswelldesign.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.