December 30, 2012

2012–A Year in Review

It’s hard to believe it’s the end of 2012 already. This year has gone by so fast and so much has happened, that when I think of it all, and go through some of my posts, I can’t fathom that so much time has passed in the blink of an eye.burrito1

So, without further adieu, here are some highlights of 2012.

The best thing about the past few years has been having the opportunity to meet many of my readers. I frequently tell people who ask why I blog that it’s because of my readers. This year, I was lucky enough to meet some of my wonderful readers, as well as some of my fellow bloggers.

In March, while I was in the UK, I met up with a blogger who wants to remain Anonymous, so let’s call her Poppy. She and her husband kindly invited me to join them at the House of Lords for dinner. Seriously, this evening was one of the highlights of my life. To have a personal tour of the Houses of Parliament and dinner with such wonderful people was spectacular.

Catching up with former blogger and great friend, House of Beauty and Culture, was one of the joys of being in England. imageHe’s a man who fills my heart with such love and laughter and time spent with him is precious to me.

When I was in Wales, I spent the day with the delightful Di, aka Yonks. We all drove down to St. Donat’s Castle, where I used to work, and had an amazing day touring the castle and the grounds.It was such fun touring the castle with Di and John, and showing them all of the nooks and crannies at the Castle where I’d spent so much time.As a small reminder, this is the dining room!

In July, Loi Thai, who blogs over at Tone on Tone, came up to Baltimore for dinner with us, and it was brilliant to meet the man behind this incredibly beautiful blog. image

And then there was Reggie Darling! We laughed, we cried, we drank too much. And then we laughed some more. imageReggie, his partner Boy Fenwick and their pug, Pompey all came down to Baltimore for a weekend, and a good time was had by all.

The Devoted Classicist, John Tackett also came through Baltimore and did an amazing lecture at Evergreen House. imageI’ve been following John’s blog since it started, and was so pleased to finally meet him in person.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Because of the blog, I’ve been lucky enough to be a guest or sponsored blogger at some great events.

The High Point Market Authority and Hooker Furniture invited me to be a sponsored blogger at both the April and October markets, and it was just an incredible experience. I was able to see first-hand what trends are coming to a store near you and to learn about many of the premiere furniture companies. It was also a chance to meet many of the bloggers whose work I’ve been reading for years, including Architect Design, Tartan Scot, Maison 21, Dovecote Décor and many more. It was great to put faces with names. When I went back in October, I had a much better handle on how to manoeuver around and find the exhibitors that I really wanted to see, instead of being scattershot like in April.

On a local level, I was given a coveted press pass for the My Lady’s Manor horse-races, meaning I got to watch from the vantage point of the Tower!Ladew also kindly included me in the preparations and planning for their annual Garden Festival, and I got to interview Carolyne Roehm for the blog.

As a result of blogging, I was invited to write some articles for our local newspaper, the Baltimore Sun. This was especially gratifying to me, as my father had been a reporter for this very same publication. New Years Eve (41)

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

It was a year filled with adventures (seeing the Blue Angels - twice),imagecelebrations (the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee), jubilee-walkaboutsports (the Olympics),london 2012 NYT

friends, friends2 copy

more friends, friends copyand of course, my sweet Connor.

Thanks so much for all of your comments, love, support, concern, kindness and most of all, friendship during 2012. I am really looking forward to 2013!

15 comments:

  1. What a wonderful review. Darling Connor always makes me smile. You really put yourself out there Meg- I have a lot I could learn from you. I am such an introvert but find it delightful that you engage with blogdom the way you do! I find myself so shy about these things. It looks like it was a lovely year and I think the next one will be even bigger and better. :)

    Terri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh, we see the Red Arrows around here all the time - we're near the Great North Run finish. I'd not realised there was a US counterpart called the Blue Angels. All sorts of debates on the internet about which is better. Like it matters. You had a great year, Meg! Hoping you have a great 2013.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please know that you are one of the wonderful things about our lives, dear Meg. Full steam ahead for 2013 but I am so curious about the meeting of two of my favorite dogs, Connor and Pompey. Did Connor relinquish a chair, a la Halas, or share a baby?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy New Year, Darling! I hope 2013 is even better! xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on a year well spent!! I wrapped Jones up in a blanket the last few nights--do you think our boys are spoiled?
    Have a wonderful 2013.
    Mary and Jones

    ReplyDelete
  6. And thank you for doing what you do! My 2012 was enriched by the sharing of your writing, experiences, adventures, tips, insights and keen observations. Looking forward to more in 2013!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That was a great year. I've enjoyed reading every post and following your adventures.

    I know you're only 45 minutes away so one of my resolutions for 2013 is heading up your way and finally getting to meet in person.

    Happy New Year Meg.

    xo Jane

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved reading that! Happy New Year 2013 to you & yours + knowing all your wishes will come true. xxpeggybraswelldesign.com

    ReplyDelete

  9. Happy New Year to my favorite blogger. You covered a lot in 2012. May 2013 be a great one for you and Connor.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy New Year Meg! Also, thank you for sharing your photos, muses, and ever so interesting anecdotes and information - these are always a great companion for my early morning cuppa!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi, Meg -
    I was popping over to wish you a happy New Year. What a surprise :) Thank YOU! Tom and I loved meeting you and everyone else. I can't believe we've not seen each other again. Definitely want to come up and visit again. Take care, and chat soon!!
    xo
    Loi

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy New Year Meg! I hope 2013 is as wonderful as this year, it does go by so fast...
    xo,
    ~R

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wishing you the happiest of New Years, Meg!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy New Year, Meg! Much love to you and Connor! He is such a beautiful boy & devoted companion and so long-suffering with those antlers!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.