November 2, 2010

A Breakthrough!

The University of Maryland’s Clark School of Engineering and the Walter’s Art Museum have received a three-year grant to develop a technique to slow the tarnishing of silver objects to a nearly undetectable rate.Antoine-Louis Barye Walking Lion Striding LionThe $500,000 project, which would involve refining a process called "atomic layer deposition," is being designed primarily to benefit museums such as the Walters, which have extensive collections of ancient silver statues, jewelry and drinking vessels. You can read the story here.halcyon house 052

As a child, one of the chores I liked best was polishing the silver before a big dinner party that my parents were hosting, or before a holiday meal. It was instant gratification! I still love polishing my silver, as evidenced in the video that the Nate Berkus Show shot at my house.

10 comments:

  1. I too enjoy polishing silver, but I'm not always in the mood, (and happily that's not a problem living here, because I'm fortunate enough to have someone to do it). So I can well understand what a terrific time saver this development would be, and I welcome it wholeheartedly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We ARE soul sisters. What a wild grant! I want to volunteer at the Maryland Historical Society just so I could polish the silver!!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have less time than I wish I did these days and would love a few more weeks on my silver. Hope it works!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are welcome to drop by and polish silver any time you'd like!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This would be nice -i don't mind polishing it once in awhile -but the night before a dinner party it's the last thing I want to do. So I wonder..will it be a spray on thing that you can do yourself? Is it safe to use on utensils? Why hasn't someone studied this before!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the way I feel after polishing silver (but not the process)--the satiny feel of polished silver, seeing everything all lined up and glistening--pure joy. But I cannot wait til this new product is on the market.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Meg it sounds fascinating....I have to admit I do not like polishing silver!!

    Come and see my latest find, would love your comments

    Xoxo
    Karena
    Art by Karena

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Meg,

    You may have heard by now that our beloved Valorie, aka The Visual Vamp, is in need of assistance. I am in the process of organizing an online auction to begin on Friday, Nov. 5th.
    Please stop by my blog for more details and if you could grab the button to help spread the word.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a great kid activity. They love to do this, but boy do they go through the polish. Also good for husbands, mine did it on Wed. and since it will rain (no golf) of Thurs. too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. hmm why are we not using the silver items if one uses the items is there a need to polish? why let these items sit and gater dust Use then everyday why not???

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.