September 13, 2010

Some Very Kind Words

Do you read “To the Manner Born"?

It’s an excellent, free-ranging blog that veers from lovely essays about Toad, the writer’s, grown children, to sartorial advice, to good books to read.

He shares with me a love for the author Roald Dahl, who was born and raised in Cardiff, just a few blocks from where I lived. One of my favourite buildings was the tiny Norwegian Church, which is now an arts center. 6d 037There is also a plaza in Cardiff named for Roald Dahl – it’s called Roald Dahl Plass. Plass being plaza in Welsh.roald dahl plass millenium centreRoald Dahl’s birthday is today {it’s RoaldDahlDay} and Toad is celebrating it all month. roald_dahl_day_logo On the BBC Radio 4, they were reading a biography of Dahl as the “Book at Bedtime”.  So I gave a heads up to Toad, and he graciously thanked me thusly:

You know those indispensable girls who know everything? Who, what, where, when, how, they know exactly the right answer, without research, it just comes to them, mostly because they work hard to not let it show that they are smart and they work hard. Meg of Pigtown Design is one of those women who grease the skids for we malingerers. The sad part is they rarely get the recognition they so so warmly deserve.

Today is "Let us give thanks for Meg day" for she put me on to BBC Radio 4 Book of the Week program. This week's book is Storyteller: The Life of Roald Dahl, by Donald Sturrock. You may hear it here.
Thanks, Meg.

Thank YOU, Toad. For all of your kind words, and for all of the lovely things that you write. We’re richer for reading your blog!

8 comments:

  1. For both of you I am grateful every day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for letting me know about Toad....who sounds like he is a very wise toad indeed.....xv

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, Meg I always look forward to reading both your and Toad's postings!

    Karena
    Art by Karena

    ReplyDelete
  4. How sweet! I know it feels wonderful to receive such praise... which you deserve!

    Hugs,
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  5. How wonderful to be affirmed. Have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. He is totally RIGHT about YOU, girl! We are all lucky to share the realm with you! And thank you for telling me about him...I won't miss him from now on...like I never miss ADG on his blog these days!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've made me cry. Thank you very much.

    ReplyDelete
  8. His cookbook "Memories with Food at Gipsy House" is a favorite! I love that Dahl kept his hip bone in a jar on his desk and loved to show it to children when they visited.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.