September 9, 2009

I’ll Take This… Sconce

Sotheby’s in London is having a sale for the next few days of Fine English Antiques and Continental Furniture. As I was scrolling through their on-line catalogue, these incredible sconces caught my eye.sothebys sconcesThey’re brilliant for several reasons, including that the medallion in the center is Jasperware! The description is “A set of six gilt-bronze and Jasperware wall appliqués, circa 1880. In Louis XVI style, each inset with a plaque representing the Muses and with four branches. 2ft. 3½ inches high. Unfortunately, the estimate is £6000 to £8000. A little more than my current budget will bear.

Looking at high-end auction catalogues is a great way to educate your eye as to what is good, better and best.

5 comments:

  1. how beautiful are these! I loved going through the decoratif arts wing of the Louvre (especially the 17&th century floors) and was surprised to see jasperware used in thousands of different ways. Plaques on furniture, dishes and vases (of course) - on beds, chairs, desks and tables (even some chinoiserie examples!). It certainly was a fad (and I'm a fan!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I agree, and what a good book reference Good, Better, Best! My mother gave me the when I was college and interested in Antiques.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are so beautiful, especially the jasperware center. For someone who is looking to learn moare about antiques, this is a great suggestion!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are dreamy, I'm stealing the pic for future inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so right about developing your eye: look at EVERYTHING; develop a larger visual vocabulary; work against your aesthetic palette, i.e., taste. These are the building blocks to connoisseurship.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.